This year, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States alone — with approximately 595,690 people dying from the disease. With statistics like these, it’s important to do everything in our power to fight cancer before it begins.
As if those numbers aren’t alarming enough, the World Health Organization estimates that the number of new cancer cases worldwide will rise to 22 million within the next two decades. Cancer is on a rampage; but it hasn’t always been this way.
Based on studies of ancient human remains, historians have proven that cancer used to be quite rare. This fact leads many to believe that cancer has more to do with lifestyle than with genealogy.
If cancer seems to run in your family, here are a few simple lifestyle changes can make all the difference in the world.
10 Lifestyle Changes That Will Cut Your Cancer Risk in Half
(Via Dr. Mercola)
1. Stay away from sugar, especially fructose. According to Dr. Mercola, all forms of sugar are detrimental to health in general and promote cancer. Fructose, however, is one of the most harmful and should be avoided as much as possible.
2. Up your vitamin D. Vitamin D influences virtually every cell in your body and is one of nature’s most potent cancer fighters. Vitamin D is actually able to enter cancer cells and trigger cell death. If you have cancer, your vitamin D level should be between 70 and 100 ng/ml. Vitamin D works synergistically with every cancer treatment I’m aware of, with no adverse effects.
3. Engage in regular exercise. Recent studies show a very powerful effect of exercise in dramatically lowering your risk of cancer. It most likely does this through optimizing insulin and leptin signaling.
4. Avoid unfermented soy products. Unfermented soy is high in plant estrogens, or phytoestrogens, also known as isoflavones. In some studies, soy appears to work in concert with human estrogen to increase breast cell proliferation, which increases the chances for mutations and cancerous cells.
5. Improve your insulin receptor sensitivity. According to Dr. Mercola, the best way to do this is by avoiding sugar and most all grains, even organic ones. If you are one of the two-thirds of Americans who are overweight, grains and sugar could likely be worsening your insulin and leptin signaling.
6. Maintain a healthy body weight (BMI under 25). Maintaining a healthy weight may lower the risk of various types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, prostate, lung, colon and kidney. Losing weight will come naturally when you begin eating the right foods and exercising. It’s important to lose excess body fat because fat produces estrogen.
7. Eat a healthy diet. Studies show that eating a variety of different vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and fish or poultry is linked with a lower risk of developing certain cancers. On the other hand, eating more processed and red meat is linked with a higher risk of developing certain cancers.
The American Cancer Society recommends:
– Eating at least 2½ cups of vegetables and fruits each day
– Eating less red meat (beef, pork, and lamb) and less processed meat (bacon, sausage, luncheon meats, and hot dogs)
– Choosing breads, pastas, and cereals made from whole grains instead of refined grains, and brown rice instead of white
– Eating fewer sweets
8. Up your curcumin. This is the active ingredient in turmeric, and in high concentrations it can be a very useful adjunct in the treatment of cancer. For example, it has demonstrated major therapeutic potential in preventing breast cancer metastasis. In fact, the biomedical literature now confirms that it has potential in preventing and/or combating well over 100 different types of cancer.
9. Avoid alcohol. Or at least limit your alcoholic drinks. The risk of various types of cancer — including cancer of the breast, colon, lung, kidney and liver — increases with the amount of alcohol you drink and the length of time you’ve been drinking regularly. According to Cancer.org, men should have no more than 2 drinks a day and women no more than 1. One drink is equal to about 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1½ ounces of 80-proof liquor.
10. Prepare your own cancer-killing alkaline water. Water is one of the most important substances our bodies need to survive. But most tap water, even filtered water, contains fluoride and chlorine, masking agents to cover up the smell, and other pollutants that are harmful. But alkaline water is different and can help kill cancer cells. Nobel Prize winner Dr. Otto Warburg found that 95 percent of all kinds of cancers are acidic, as they are a result of an acidic state of the body. In contrast, cancerous cells cannot survive in an alkaline environment.
This 5-minute recipe for the detoxifying alkaline water could change your life:
– 1 lemon
– 1/4 ginger root
– 1/2 cucumber
– 1/2 cup mint leaves
1. Peel the ginger, and cut all the ingredients into slices. Then, add them to water.
2. For best results, use the same ingredients for three days, and just keep adding new water.
3. In order to obtain optimal effects, you should consume this water immediately after you wake up.
We must do everything in our power to put an end to cancer. Please share these important cancer preventing tips with everyone you know – by doing so, you may safe a life!