Her Son Began To Vomit And Show Signs Of The Flu, Now This Grieving Mom Is Warning Every Parent

Their 4-year-old was treated for they thought was nothing more than a minor stomach bug. But the struggling little boy had been tragically misdiagnosed — and the deadly damage had already been done.

Now these grieving parents are begging others to learn from their haunting nightmare. Please share this horrifying warning with every parent you know!

Frankie Delgado was a handsome, bright-eyed and happy 4-year-old kid. His infectious smile lit up every room and his joyous energy always kept his family laughing. But now, two weeks after a fun-filled family outing, that joy has turned into mourning.

The Delgado family was enjoying the water at a local levee when a small wave knocked Frankie off his feet. Little Frankie’s head went under the water, but he quickly recovered.

Frankie’s father, Francisco Delgado Jr, recalled: “He had fun the rest of the day. I never thought anything of it.”

Frankie appeared to be fine, so the family went on with their Memorial Day outing. But by the following night, Frankie had diarrhea and couldn’t stop vomiting. This wasn’t the first time the 4-year-old had shown symptoms of the stomach bug, so his parents decided to treat him at home — a decision that would change their lives forever.

Medical examiners now suspect that Frankie’s symptoms were the result of the water he had inhaled at the levee the day before.

Frankie’s flu-like symptoms continued on for a week and appeared to be getting better. But when he woke up in the middle of the night complaining of shoulder pain, his parents decided to take him to the doctor first thing in the morning. But morning never came for little Frankie.

Delgado recalled the harrowing night his son tragically passed away: “Out of nowhere, he just woke up, he looked at me, and he just rolled his eyes back and took a deep breath. I was like ‘Frankie, what’s wrong,’ and I got up real quick, and I saw that he took a breath but never exhaled, he took his last breath — and I didn’t know what to do.”

The Delgados dialed 911 and their precious little boy was rushed to the emergency room, where medical staff spent over an hour trying to resuscitate him. The helpless parents watched in horror as the medical team did everything they could to save their son — but it was too late.

Frankie’s mother, Tara Delgado, told KHOU: “I walked in. I could see him lying there; they were still working on him. I was screaming: ‘Let me just touch my baby! Maybe he needs his mama’s touch.'”

After doctors discovered water in Frankie’s lungs and around his heart, they concluded that the little boy died from “dry drowning,” also known as “secondary drowning.”

Drowning is the second-leading cause of “injury death” among children aged 1 to 14. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on any given day, an average of 10 people die from accidental drowning.

Dr. Danelle Fisher, the vice chair of pediatrics at Providence Saint John’s Health Center, told Parenting.com: “Drowning from fluid in the lungs that occurs, not during submersion in water, but up to 24 hours after swimming or bathing, defines secondary drowning.”

Please watch his story in the video below and share with every parent you know! 

The Delgados are urging parents to learn from their son’s tragic death. PLEASE keep a close eye on your children for at least 24 hours if they are submerged in water for any period of time. And be sure to know and remember the four deadly symptoms of dry drowning: 

– Coughing
– Chest pain
– Trouble breathing
– Fatigue / extreme tiredness

It’s important to note that your child may also have changes in behavior such as such as irritability or a drop in energy levels, which could mean the brain isn’t getting enough oxygen. If your child has any signs of dry drowning and secondary drowning, seek medical help immediately. Although in most cases the symptoms will go away on their own, it’s important to get him checked out as soon as possible.

Please keep the Delgado family in your prayers as they grieve the loss of their beautiful baby boy.

Little Frankie’s tragic death has already saved the life of one child. Please protect your children and share this horrifying story with every parent you know to help raise awareness about the dangers of dry drowning– by doing so you may save a life!